Halloween Safety Tips

CUTE AS A BUTTON…BUT BEWARE!

Each year nearly 3,500 people of all ages in the United States unintentionally swallow button batteries, also known as watch or coin batteries, used to power many electronics including toys, decoration and remote controls.

56,667 People, including children, were hospitalized for battery ingestion-related injuries between 1993 and 2013. All battery-related fatalities reported involved button batteries.

COSTUMES THAT GIVE A SCARE…

Halloween is thrilling for kids and they are often distracted and excited while participating in the festivities. However, some decorations, such as candles can be potentially dangerous. Be sure to choose decorations, costumes, and accessories that are made with flame-resistant, flame-retardant or non-combustible materials.

A HAUNTED HOUSE

Before you decorate, inspect each electrical item and discard any with damaged wires. If you’re using electrical products outside, make sure they are marked “for outdoor use.” Keep electric cords out of high-traffic areas, where they can be a tripping hazard to trick-or-treaters. And be sure to plug all outdoor decorations into circuits protected by Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIS) to prevent electric shock.